Other ways of expressing prohibition (no modals):
- To forbid someone to ..
- To ban someone from …-ing something
- To not allow someone to … something
- To not permit someone to … something
- To not let someone … something
- Imperative (Dutch: gebiedende wijs)
Mother forbids me to speak to strangers.
The prisoner was banned from going to his dad’s funeral.
James wasn’t allowed to use a knife.
The teacher didn’t permit us to use a dictionary.
Dad doesn’t let me drive his car to school.
Don’t tease your brother!