Reading and Use of English Part 7
Part 7, the Gapped Text, focuses on how texts are structured. Here are some tips:
- Read the whole text first before you attempt to answers any questions. This will give you an idea of the overall structure.
- Read the paragraphs to get a general idea of the topic of each one.
- Look out for cohesive devices that help link ideas. These could be things like time phrases, cause and effect or contrasting linking words and expressions, pronouns or synonyms that refer forwards or backwards in the text.
- Make sure any paragraph you chose fits both with what comes before and after.
- Don't simply choose a paragraph because it contains a similar word or words to the paragraph before or after. You will need to match paragraphs based on the development of ideas or opinions.